Thursday, December 20, 2012

How not to mess about on the Rocks!


The third week passed by and that so fast, that I have to STOP. BREATH. THINK first, before I start writing. 
This should become my motto not even when I come in unforeseeable, difficulty and sometimes maybe even life threatening situations along my diver career, as well when I'm acting in some situations in my private time.
That would have prevented me from a stupid accident I had this week. 
But let us start right from the beginning....  
After a couple of days off not feeling very well i started the week very, very, very early because we went out for a night dive.
Andreas, Dennis, Sam, Lydia, Pete, Alice and customers who have been doing their PADI Advanced DiveCourse with us, went in the water at around six o'clock in the morning. 
Night Dive Tenerife

I can tell that everybody enjoyed the dive, even me who had to stay on boat cover. I saw a beautiful sunrise.... the horizon turned from dark black into a variety of colours from purple, red, orange and yellow in just a couple of minutes and everything was still so silent and relaxed,- beeeeeeeaaaaaauuuuuutiful. I mean, how often are you enjoying this kind of scenery? Me not often, I just love sleeping :)!

Tenerife Sunrise

After this first dive, we went to a shallower place, so that Dennis, Andreas and Anne could show the last skills of their Advanced course. They had to hover, what means as much as floating in a meditative kind of position under water without moving your arms and legs, than they had to establish proper buoyancy and swim through two hoops, that Lydia and me were holding under the water and so on. 
They did all really good and passed the PADI Advanced Course!!!! Well done.


PADI Advanced Course in Tenerife

Than in the afternoon tired, but exhilarated by the early adventure, the chaos took over! 
We went all together to the shore just to enjoy our company and some music and Andreas, Mahmoud and me were walking a little bit further out to the ocean side on some rocks. 
The waves and the eddy water was quite heavy splashing over the rocks, but we were in the mood to go further out to explore the site a little bit more. What shall I tell, I didn't watch out at one point, tried to pass a section of rocks where the water was running across very heavy and high and the next thing I remember is that a wave was coming dragged me down over a couple of rocks. 
I heard the guys shouting and was luckily capable of holding on to a rock, so that I didn't get dragged further down in the ocean. 
I SURVIVED, YEAH :) with a couple of bruises and scratches, which got unfortunately infected over the following days. 
Night Dive in Tenerife

Pete has planned our Rescue course confine sessions, that I didn't want to miss, so although my foot was really sore, I practiced the skills that we need to full fill our PADI Rescue Diver course. 
We were towing responsive, tired divers at the surface in different styles, learned how to handle a panicked diver, self-rescue skills, how to bring an unresponsive, drowning diver to the surface and provide him with rescue breathes. 


PADI Rescue Course

This two days were for me so far the most interesting days, because the skills that we have learned, could save a life one day and gave us resources in hand to react in difficult situations without loosing the overview. We all passed the open water skills and the written exam and can call ourselves PADI Rescue Divers from now on!!!!


PADI Rescue Course

The next morning we went in the pool in the morning with Alice and practiced our demonstration skills, so that we will be able one day to assist Dive Instructors giving courses.
In the evening I finally gave up waiting for a miracle with my foot and went to the medical center. They diagnosed a  bad infection, set me on antibiotics and forbid me to get even close to a pool or the ocean for at least seven days *buhuuuu*.
More soon.

Anemone in Tenerife

No comments:

Post a Comment