Saturday, October 12, 2013

I am a PADI DIVEMASTER

I can’t believe this has been my last week of my internship, and now I’m a PADI Divemaster! 
I started this week observing my Steve’s Open Water course at Gijarro Arecife with Gerado, Thiess and Malene.
On Tuesday we went to Las Eras, I’d never been there before and the first dive was amazing. I think it was one of the best dives I’ve done out here, the visibility was really good and we saw loads of things, including a massive shoal of barracuda and a streaked gunard.

PADI Divemaster

We went diving at El Puertito. Susanne drove the jumpy there and we got a little bit lost on the way, which I thought was pretty funny. When we finally got there, we got in the water in search of the turtles. On the first dive we saw a turtle pretty much as soon as we descended and we sat and watched it for a while. On the second dive, we didn’t see turtles at first, but we saw an octopus and two cuttlefish, then we saw a turtle. We had a DSD workshop on Friday morning, when the instructors pretended to be awkward DSD participants which was really funny.
We went to the Marina afterwards, some interns did their stamina tests and CK and Oz started their Rescue Course and I was a stooge. I got to pretend to be a missing diver twice, and I didn’t get found for quite a while, it’s pretty lonely sitting at the bottom of the marina with only an ornate wrasse for company!
Tenerife internships

On Saturday, I did my final two dives which were both really good, especially the second dive.

Moray Eel

The conditions on the surface were pretty bad, but it was completely worth it.  We saw three huge rays, one of them had a live sharksucker attached to it. I think it might have been the same sharksucker that we saw a couple of weeks ago, because it was in the same place and apparently they’re rare. We also saw two smaller rays, a moray eel, barracuda and shoals of cow bream and roncador.

Moray Eel and friends

I don’t think I could have had a better final dive!
In the afternoon, I timed a 400m swim for CK , and she’s improved her time which is good. Then, on Saturday night we went out to Las Americas because me, Gerado and Will are leaving.
I’ve enjoyed my internship here at Dive and Sea, but I’m really looking forward to going home and seeing my family, friends and my cat.

Thanks for having me Dive and Sea!

No comments:

Post a Comment