Monday, May 14, 2012

Leaving paradise behind.


Eight weeks later and it is time to pack up and head back to the U.K, leaving paradise behind.

Starting where I left off with Friday, Pete, Melissa, Bungle and I headed up to Puerto de le Cruz in the north of the island to dive with Tiede Divers.

After our road trip we arrived at the Teide dive shop and after a much needed brew we headed off to the harbor to meet our boat taxi to the dive site.




The dive was fantastic, navigating a massive rock with a swim through to one side sitting in about 38m of water. We were not alone down there as we soon met a pair of big Black Moray Eels and an even bigger Grouper which wanted to play games with Pete, to add to the fun just about everyone on the dive experienced some nitrogen narcosis apart from Phil and Pete.

A very ‘Interesting’ experience.

After our nice "shallow dive" we returned to the harbour where we refreshed with some well-deserved beers and snacks.

Then we all headed back to the Tiede shack to crack on with our Enrich Air exams in both Bungle and I passed only getting one question wrong and Pete passed 100% because he’s AWESOME.
Next it was time for a 60 minute makeover of the Tiede Divers shop, Dive and Sea style. Just moving some stuff from one place to another really, nothing to challenging. After admiring our (mainly Melissa’s) handy work we packed up our kit and headed back to the sunny south of the island.

Saturday and surprisingly more diving. First on the agenda was meeting at the shop to assemble all of the kit for the day’s events. We met David, a French police diver on holiday here. Then we headed off to Yellow Mountain to give David an insight into our ‘stressful’ line of work, the first dive found Bungle leading around Alien Rock where we managed to spot a big Octopus as well as all of the Yellow Mountain locals.

The second dive consisted of me leading the group around both the swim through and Crocodile Rock where we managed to spot a sleepy Ray and all of the locals that where still hanging around waiting to be fed. After returning to the marina, we washed the kit and headed back to headquarters. The afternoon was filled with even more tea drinking and general shop duties.

Sunday and only two days until I depart.
Today included yet more fun under the sea, we were joined by Josh, Nick and Elizabeth on leave from the U.S air force based in Germany. First on the agenda was a Discover Scuba Diving Experience for non-diving Elizabeth and a Scuba Tune up for Nick.


After a refreshing cup of tea it was off to the marina to board the boat and head off to Yellow Mountain, Bungle joined the first dive along with Pete and I remained on the boat to improve on my tan before going home. My tanning session didn’t last long as on the second dive I led Josh, Nick and Bungle around Alien Rock where we once again managed to spot our Octopus friend relaxing on his rock.
After the lovely morning of diving it was fairly relaxed day with more tea drinking and moaning about having to go back to the U.K

Monday my last day of diving here in paradise.

Another early start at 7.15 to get all of the kit ready for the days diving. We also met Teide divers, down for the day for some diving and exams towards Jackie’s Assistant Instructor certification.

Where better to do some of my last diving as well as my 100th dive than Las Eras. 
Today, Melissa, I, Bungle and Phil where joined by Aiden, Louise, Delphine and Michael. We all jumped into the Teide wagon and headed to Las Eras where the first dive found us navigating the pipe line.
As all ways a whole host of aquatic life came to say hello including a Canarian lobster, Common ray, Scorpion fish and Moray eels. After the brilliant first dive it was back to the van to change over cylinders and get excited for the next dive which happened to be my 100th dive.


The second dive found Phil leading and Melissa, Bungle, I, Louise and Michael following.

Now I would mention that we managed to see loads of aquatic life but if I’m honest I was too excited to notice the fact I was even underwater. Any way near the end of the dive we stopped so I could open the bottle of champagne I had carried the entire dive to celebrate my 100th dive in style.
I popped off the cork, gave the bottle and shake and sprayed the champagne into my mouth. The perfect way to celebrate 100 dives. Still very much excited we headed back to the shop where we said a final fair well to the brilliant Teide Divers and assembled all of the kit for the evening diving.

We finished up and headed to the room to grab so much needed food prior to getting back to the shop for 6.30pm. Back at the shop we met up with Louise, Nick, Josh, Rodders, Juan, Pete, Bungle and I we all headed to the marina to board the boat for my last diving in Tenerife.
The first dive found the group at Pequeno Valle to complete Juan and Nick’s navigation dive for their PADI Advanced Open Water courses. On the dive we managed to spot two huge Rays snoozing on some rock as well as extend some fishes lives.
After the dive we popped back to the marina to pick up Louise and change over cylinders before heading off to Yellow Mountain to complete our night dive. We dropped into the pitch black water and the excitement started, we headed off to the swim through and back to Crocodile Rock before returning to the boat.


Night dives are amazing and it was the perfect way to conclude my diving during my internship.
We returned to the shop and headed back home for some much needed sleep. My last official day, sad times and Pete wouldn't stop crying! (If you know Pete you know how emotional he cane be!!)

Tuesday and the day of my flight, I spent most of the day packing and generally doing miserable stuff that comes with going back to the U.K.

After yet more tears from Pete and farewells to everyone Melissa dropped me to the airport and that was the end of my time in Tenerife.

The Eight weeks here in Tenerife have been fantastic, met some brilliant people and got my hands on the legendary ‘PADI backpack’. Thanks to everyone especially Melissa and Pete.

Over and Out George / Zippy

http://www.diveandseatenerife.com/Diving_Internships.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment