Saturday, May 19, 2012

Wah wah wah :-(

Friday morning we packed some kit together and headed up to the North of the Island, to see our friends at Teide Divers.

We met Phil, Jackie, Lauren and Kepa, ready to go out for a dive in a different part of the island. Jackie put the kettle on and made us all a nice cup of tea, which is the standard recipe for a good start to the day.

We headed down to the local marina soon after, where we would meet the boat that was taking us out for our morning of fun in the sea. There were quite a few people on the boat, one of whom took a special interest in sitting incredibly close to Melissa, much to Melissa’s disapproval (photos to follow).




We ended up at the site after a short boat journey and got in the water, where we found a big rock which is home to Moray Eels, a massive Dusky Island Grouper and some deep water for us to explore. When I say ‘deep water’ of course I mean we were diving at depths well within the limits of recreational diving and our training.


After diving we headed back to Teide Divers headquarters, where we were completing our Enriched Air Speciality under the instruction of Mr Phillip Peter Gill. Before we could do this though, we had to have a cheeky cup of tea and then do a bit of re-marketing of products in the shop.

Note to self; ‘I’ve only got 3 lines Phil!’

Saturday morning we were in the company of David, who is a diver for the French Police. Zippy and I took him on a tour of Yellow Mountain, including the Swim Through, Crocodile Rock and Alien Rock. Zippy and I have been here just over 7 weeks now and finding our way around these dives is no problem at all anymore. It’s amazing how quickly you learn!!

At the time of writing this blog, I find myself having an empty diary entry and a complete mental block on what else happened today!

Saturday evening, as it was our last weekend here, Zippy and I took Pete and Melissa out for a spot of dinner and a few beers.
The old faithful Aberdeen was the location for our meal, which kind of felt like the last supper of the ‘Zippy and Bungle internship era’, which will of course go down in history as one of the best things to ever happen to the diving industry.

Sunday morning we were joined by Nick, Josh and Elizabeth, Americans by trade but living in Germany. Elizabeth was doing a DSD which I was leading, Nick was doing a Scuba Tune up, led by the Zipster and Josh was just here for the diving.
After the mornings pool session we all headed out to Yellow Mountain for a couple of dives. Pete was in charge of the open water dive for Elizabeth’s DSD, while I led the chaps around Crocodile Rock on a bit of a jolly.
On the second dive, Zippy led Alien Rock, with Nick, Josh and I just enjoying the view.


It had been a long week up till this point, so Pete and Melissa treated us to a little early finish so we could chill out. Rather than chill out though, Zippy and I spent most of the afternoon discussing how much we didn’t want to leave in the next few days!

Monday morning, an emotional morning in Dive and Sea headquarters. Its Zippy’s last day!

Phil, Yackie and Lauren came down, so Phil could come out diving with us, Yackie could complete her AI exams and Lauren could brush up on some skills.


Melissa, Phil, Zippy and I headed off to Las Eras with customers Louise, Aidan, Michael and Delphine. I led the first dive to the pipe line, which is still one of my favourite dives, then Phil led us on the second dive to the other side of the bay.
The second dive this morning was Zippy’s 100th! Congratulations Zippy! We had only recently found out that it was possible to open up and drink from bottle of champagne while underwater, however this information had come at the right time!
Zippy had readily purchased a bottle of cheap fizz, which he cracked open and kindly shared with a few of us who were diving with him.
It is quite difficult to drink underwater!

For my 100th dive I’m going to take down a cheese and pickle sandwich and see if that’s any easier to deal with.

Later on we had some more diving on the agenda. Nick was doing his Advanced Course with us, as was our new intern Aaron, who we are now calling ‘Juan’. Our first dive of the evening was Nick and Juan’s Navigation dive.
I practiced with them on dry land, before we headed out to Pequena Valle to complete the session. During this dive we stumbled across a rather large Sting Ray, who wasn’t keen on the idea of having his picture taken with me! Every time I got close, he ran away…. (Jessy)


Following this we headed over to Yellow Mountain (after a brief stop to change cylinders), for a Night Dive. I have now done 2 night dives and thoroughly enjoy them! It is a generally nerve racking experience the first time but being underwater in the dark is one of my favourite things to do now!

Tuesday morning Melissa, Juan and I headed off to El Puertito with Nick, Josh and Elizabeth. We were off in search of the Turtles and were not disappointed!

Melissa led the first dive and I led the second, which was to be my last dive… Sad times.


I started to get my bits and pieces together later on in the day, as Wednesday the 9th of May, I was going home. WAH, WAH, WAH!

In summary of my 8 weeks at Dive and Sea;

I would say that the last 8 weeks have been some of the best.

My interest in Diving has now been turned into something more, as I don’t feel right when I’m on dry land now!

I have learnt so much about Diving, teaching and most importantly about how much of a…… good intern I am!

My initial idea to train as a PADI instructor is now a definite move for me and I cannot wait to do so.

I will definitely be returning to Tenerife at some point soon to see everybody again!

Huge thank you to Pete and Melissa for everything over these last 2 months, it has been fantastic!!

Bye bye for now, Bungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment