Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Our first American PADI Divemaster Intern.......


This is my first week in Tenerife and day one started with a great introduction to my PADI Divemaster internship and the Dive centre, I met Carl who will be with me for the first 6 weeks of my 8 week internship.

I arrived in Tenerife on Saturday after over 24 hours travel time from my home town of Calabasas in California, although I did tell everyone I was going to be in "TenerLife" not Tenerife easy mistake to make I thought but, Melissa has found this very amusing and has been telling everyone about it!

I am 19 years old and this is the first time I have travelled to Europe, I am really excited about my adventure!
I am here on an eight week internship where not only will I be studying for the PADI Divemaster certification 


I am also going to complete 5 specialities so that I can complete my PADI Master Scuba diver certification, and the plan is that I will become a PADI Assistant Instructor once all that is completed!

Seems along way off now, so watch this space.

On the first day I had my first two dive's of my internship. It was great to be diving on my first day a definitive bonus! I was very excited and nervous but it all turned out perfect.

The first dive Chris was my buddy on was my navigation dive, he explained how to use the compass to me, that was fun!!
I also learnt my first lesson about beer fines, I dropped my integrated weights down to the bottom of the sea when I was getting back to the boat DOH! ( last time I will use them).


My second dive was my first night dive which I was very excited about and it was amazing. I saw so many amazing fish and invertebrates.

It has been a little difficult getting past the 8 hour time change but eventually I got past it on day four thank goodness I finally feel alive again! Melissa has been teasing me this week as I have been alittle sleepy to say the least.

I have been really impressed with the dive sites I have visted this week and I was really happy to go to El Puertito to meet the Turtles that can mostly be found there. Nick, Josh, Elizabeth, Bungle, Melissa and I all had a great time watching the Turtle which followed us for the majority of our dive, can't wait to see the photos.

I also got to visit Tabaiba, which is in the north of the island, this was another shore dive, I went out with Pete, Carl and Nick and Josh, we completed the deep dive and wreck dive of my PADI Advanced Open Water course, only one more dive to go and then I will be an advanced diver and all in just a few days of arriving.which was very cool to see. We went about 30m deep and then found a sunken tugboat which we swam around checking all the windows into the ship.


To top my first week off, I got to see my first angel shark on a dive with Melissa, Karina, Adel, Aiden, Carl, and I at starfish bay. There were some very cool octopus that we got to see while we swam along the rocky shore. After that dive Carl and I went off to Yellow mountain.
I managed to fail my 800m and my 100m diver tow because I have some very bad split fins, hint to self, don't buy split fins.

I have been swimming twice a day every day, I am sure I must be getting better, I am going to continue with my swimming as next week I will do my timed assessment. Its been a great first week, but over so quickly. I cannot wait to see what the rest of my internship brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment