Friday, June 1, 2012

PADI Rescue Diver

This has been my second week in Tenerife and it has been an intensive time. I have been working on my stamina my skill circuit as well as theory!! I am happy to report that I have managed to reduce my time on my 400 m swim proving that swiming everyday is paying off!


This week I took my Emergency First Response course (first aid) which was good fun.
I have also passed my Rescue Exam and the practical part of the course and so I am pleased to annouce I am now a fully certified PADI Rescue Diver
I managed not to lose Ducky during my rescue course, so thats a big relief as the story is that other interns have nearly lost ducky and it has dire consequences... probably for me I would get 100 beer fines!! 


Melissa got a good laugh at me trying to get Carl back to the boat and into the boat since she believes that I had drowned poor little Rodders, he was sooo heavy for such a little person.

I have started working towards my PADI Master Scuba Diver certification
One of the great things that I found out when I arrived was that as part of the internship we were being offered the chance to get the SMB Distinctive Specialty for free! 
I obviously jumped at the chance, and this week, in just two dives (but with lots of practice) I passed this Speciality. 


Now every dive I use my SMB, practice makes perfect after all!! 
Not only that but I also started my Fish ID course...Melissa has made me write a minimum of 10 species of fish on every dive I have logged since I arrived so this has been great practice for this course. There are so many species of fish hidden around the dive sites we visit I had great fun searching for aqualtic life!

After much practice with Rodder in the afternoons going through our Divemaster skill circuit I felt ready to show Pete how I was doing, he was really pleased with my progress but just said I needed to slow right done and exagerate my movements.


Severine, Carls girlfriend, tried out the Discover Scuba Diving experience so we took her out to Yellow Mountain with our good friends Karina and Adel. They all had great dives and I am looking forward to diving with the girls again next week.


I had 2 days off in which I read my Divemaster book and completed knowledge reviews only taking a break to swim in the pool. 
Overall it was a good week and I feel that I accomplished a lot, hope next week can be even better. The time I have been here has flown by, It feels like only yesterday I was just an open water student striving for a higher certification and now I have so many things to tell my jealous friends who are stuck at home in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment