Sunday, June 30, 2013

PADI Instructor & PADI Assistant Instructor Courses and being blindfolded !

On Monday, Patrick, Stiven, Ioannis, Eric y yo headed off to Abades where we did 3 dives around the shore. We saw loads of common sting rays, an octopus and a couple of trigger fish which is apparently a rare sight there.
I am recognising loads more fish I now just need to remember the names. I practiced briefing one of the dives which went ok ish, still a work in progress. I reviewed my PADI Rescue diver book and then took the test and got a pretty groovy 96%, so I am happy with that.
Tuesday was a busy day, we were joined by James who was doing his PADI Assistant instructor course. We did two pool sessions were we practiced our skills alongside James.
PADI Assistant Instructor

We also went to the hotel pool which was pretty busy and several people were up for having a free try at scuba diving around the pool. We did the 800metre snorkel in the marina with fins which used muscles I don’t think I have ever used before in my legs. I did it in 16 minutes 14 seconds which apparently isn’t too bad.
Diving Skills

On Wednesday we did more pool sessions and also scrubbed out the dungeons, taking out all the scuba gear and giving it a thorough sweep and clean. After all our pool sessions I asked if we had improved and I don’t think I should have asked that question just yet as it was a disappointing reply!

Melissa passed her PADI Instructor exam which is great and she is now a PADI instructor! On Thursday James did his skills test in the pool and we had to make purposeful mistakes for him to correct.
Later on we went out to Abades again where Ioannis did his navigation and fish ID adventure dive. Stiven and I mostly somersaulted and danced under the water. There wasn't a parking spot near the shop so we had to carry many tanks up the road but I don’t complain..
Preparing for dives

In the afternoon we went off to Prosub, the scuba diving shop where we had a look around. Later on we learnt 2 knots which apparently we have to be able to do blindfolded for our PADI Divemaster.

Divemaster Skills

This one time in the pub Eric was like telling us about his time at band camp, he had a real good time. Friday, I did my second boat dive and we had to do some purposeful mistakes for Jame´s open water skills test. However I made his life pretty hard by doing several other mistakes for him to correct. Oops!
We then went for a little recreational dive, I really like Yellow Mountain (the dive site) we saw a sting ray, lots of trumpet fish, arrow crabs, lots of baby bandtail puffers and the other usuals.
We didn’t have a very successful few days on the organisational side of things but living and learning!

Friday evening we went out for a meal at the Aberdeen Steakhouse (when in Tenerife) and we then went on to a karaoke bar where a guy in a shiny shirt was doing a Tom Jones tribute which was suitably cringey. After Eric’s beautiful rendition of Metallica I was convinced to sing Mama mia with a couple of others. We got to bed at 3am and both Melissa and I got up pretty early on the Saturday anyway and had a very productive morning of cleaning the apartment, swimming, baking and going over scuba skills all before midday.
PADI Instructor Course

In the afternoon we headed off to the hotel pool to give free try dives which I think was a little painful for Eric and then in the evening Melissa and I had a go at learning the dance to Takata. There is a lot to be done and I am doing lots of running about, carrying tanks, preparing kit and diving.

Try diving in Tenerife

Who needs a fitness camp when there are diving internships to be done! I’m having a real good time though!

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment