Sunday, June 30, 2013

Dolphins, Sting Rays amd my new diving knife

Well last week started off well with a few dives at Abades led by Patrick. We saw a bunch of sting rays there and some trigger fish.
Also beginning Monday we changed all the jobs up. So I switched from being on kit to being told to direct our little trio and check boxes and everything along with organizing all the gear in the morning and directing traffic once we got back.
I’ve got to say that Pete and Alice and Melissa were all blown away by our performance last week, specifically mine.
If there was one word I could use to describe last week it would be fantastic.
Hannah, Ioannis, and I worked like a well-oiled machine, each of us knew what to do and without even communicating we set about our tasks with the speed and fury of a herd of thundering stallions.
That was until Tuesday rolled around and it all fell apart. James showed up to start his PADI Assistant instructor course and we or I could not get it together well enough to make it look like we had any idea what we were doing.
PADI Assistant Instructor in Tenerife


It happens though, at the end of the day we thought that would be it. We thought that was our worst day. Wednesday made it seem like that was the case; we stepped up our game and came through.
Setting up in the morning went well and the entire day was much smoother. But the roller coaster of a week was only half over and Thursday and Friday were both similar in that they were the drop of the coaster.
Spanish, American, English and Greek Interns in Tenerife

One long, two day drop. But one Thursday and Friday we got 3 pool sessions and were able to work on our skills and then we got to go to Yellow Mountain for a dive around Alien rock after James did his open water skills. Luckily it all went well as far as the dive went and when we got back to the marina I got some time to chill as I swam rabbit for James.
Then after that we went back and slogged through the rest of the day.
many kinds of Ray

The biggest highlight for me on Friday though was that my knife came in, it’s called the Diablo, and I got to use it on my first dive with it to kill a black sea urchin. Then Friday night we went to the Aberdeen Steakhouse for dinner and then headed to a bar down the street for karaoke.

Project AWARE in Tenerife

It turned out that I am a fantastic singer and I was able to enchant an older woman with my melodic voice. She loved my beautiful singing and couldn’t get enough, it’s sad I don’t have a cd out yet.
Everyone else thought I was terrible though. But they did say I was very entertaining which is what counts in my book, if you can’t be a good singer you might as well be a good entertainer. Saturday I didn’t get up until noonish. And I didn’t go to work until around 230, we went to the hotel pool and Alice swam around and managed not to make anyone cry.
Wonderful diving sites

Then today, which is Sunday went very well compared to last week. Hannah got to go do sessions in the pool with Melissa who is now an instructor, congratulations!
With her first two students and Patrick helping out. I went with Alice, Pete, James, and Birgit to dive down to almost 30m and saw some fish I had never seen before, I saw a black moray eel and some barracuda and the largest stingray I’ve seen so far.
Watching the Dolphins

I also had James point out some type of coral or something that I have been unable to positively identify, though I’ve got it narrowed down I think.
Today went decently though, it wasn’t great but it wasn’t terrible either, it just kind of was. Which I can live with.
And now I’m watching the Sunset Limited and typing this.
The end.

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment