Monday, June 10, 2013

Sting Rays everywhere :)


This week Gary Stiven and I have all made lots of progress on our PADI Divemaster course. We had a pool skills session with Pete who marked us. This showed us we still have some way to go in some skills but in others we managed to score some top marks, which was encouraging.  We also did the 800-metre snorkel and 100 metre diver tow. We did these tests in the Marina and in the afternoon I watched Stiven doing his PADI Rescue confined water stage. It was interesting to see someone else being instructed and was a useful refresher for Gary and I. It was a long day but it was worth it.

This week I have also done 2 dives where I was trained in the Surface Marker Buoy which I enjoyed doing.
Surface Marker Buoy

We dived at the sub site with customers Fergus, Aidan and Dan. We were really lucky to see 4 large Rays sleeping on the floor of a small ravine. Later in the dive we saw another 2 Rays, which was fantastic .The second of those looked very large. The sleeping rays we were able to get really close to.  They eventually moved and were so powerful and graceful to watch. It was definitely a high for me.

Fangtooth eel

We also dived at the Moon Pools where we saw lots of fish. It was a brilliant day and the light in the pools was amazing. You approach these pools through a series of swim throughs. I did my Fish identification dive at the site and recorded 36 different species. There were still others that I did not get a chance to record but it shows how much life there is in these waters.

Moon Pools Dive Site In Tenerife

At Yellow Mountain we dived with Dan, Steve, Aidan and Fergus .We saw a small Common ray which had teamed up with a small Sting ray. They were happily following one another around and did not seem at all bothered by our presence. They seemed to be playing a game of tag, which was funny to watch.
Barracuda

The weather this week has been 25 degrees plus. The sea temperature is still 21 degrees and the sea has been the calmest that I have seen it since I have been here.

On Saturday Gary, Stiven Melissa and I were all off for the day. Gary drove us round the north of the Island and we ended up at Teide just before sunset. The light really seemed to bring the colour out of the rocks and we all had a great day. It was nice to see parts of the Island that I have not been to before.

“ This is a fantastic time of the year to come diving here so what are you waiting for. “

Patrick    


No comments:

Post a Comment