Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Diving in El Paso............ well Tenerife actually :)

Within the confines of this page is a re-account of my experiences with the Divemaster internship with Dive and Sea Tenerife. As I sit here trying to re-count all the wonderful things I have encountered within my first seven days here, I am faced with a huge dilemma.........
How long is this blog suppose to be?
How long is too long?
Therefore I will try to keep it short and simple out of consideration for your well being, and save you from boredom.

I arrived here at the end of June after being lost for quite a while. I eventually made it to my what my roommate Melissa refers to as a “flat”. Never in my life have I met anyone with a English or Scottish accent and here in the Dive shop it is common thing to hear.
Since apparently Tenerife is a super tourist hot spot for people from the UK, and other regions around that Island. Eventually the grace period of me arriving wore off, and the real work began.


The work I am not going to lie is honestly better than anything I have ever had to do. I use to work at Wal-mart and at that place time just seemed to stand still. I would actually just hold my breath for fun, trying to pass the minutes. Here in the Dive shop, time flies. Never is there a moment were your not busy doing something, which is productive. Its one of those bitter sweet things. Best of all I get to dive in paradise.

The most surprising thing about Tenerife is it looks exactly like El Paso Texas, BUT it has a beach and a volcano. There is mountains and that desert environment. Which is something I do not mind at all, I am completely in my element.  The diving here is the best I have ever seen, but bear in mind that I have only seen murky 7 ft max visibility.
Beauty is subjective, but I am positive anyone who dives here in Tenerife would agree that there is an abundance of beautiful rock formations and things to see down in the sea. That rhyme is not intentional and cheesy but I shall leave it there.


The event that resonated most in my head and I found very fascinating was on the first two dives I went out on. There are these long spined black sea urchins that are very, very abundant here. Apparently they are an invasive species, and are managing to thrive here, while driving out native populations of urchins and other native life. Well to curb this problem we are allowed to kill the sea urchins on sight. The strangest thing occurred when I pulled out my knife and started approaching a Urchin. Fish gathered around the urchin and my knife anxiously anticipating the murder that was about to transpire. It was not just a one time thing, this repeatedly happened ever time I had my knife out, and approached a sea urchin. Everyone likes to imagine fish as these absent minded beings who aimlessly swim with no hopes and dreams. While maybe they are not the brightest crayon in the box, they do in fact seem to possess some type of memory retention, not just innately inherited from generation to generation.

Its similar to the Pavlonian conditioning: The study where dogs were conditioned to associate the ringing of a bell with feeding time. Every time the dogs would hear the bell, they would proceed to salivate in anticipation of receiving food. Here the fish have conditioned themselves to associate a diver with a knife = sea urchin guts. It just shines a different light on the blue damsel fish, and other various species that swim in that are, maybe fish really are not as stupid as the world wants to believe. Obviously I need to see if it was not just a coincidence.


Another thought that crossed my mind is when I saw the octopus just chilling in its humble little den amongst the rocks. If Octopi? Octopi is the correct plural version of octopus?
Well if Octopi are actually very intelligent beings do they posses self-awareness, and if they do have such capabilities, what exactly is it doing in its den. Does it only sleep in its den? Or do they just sit in there rearranging the rocks in front of their homes. Two things drive nature, and that is the need to eat, and procreate.
Dolphins participate in games, and other various distractions, so if a Octopus is as smart as studies have demonstrated, what is its end game. Octopus die once they have had their batch of babies ( I am not sure if this is true for all species or only some), but are they aware of this? So many questions so little time.

Boyce

1 comment:

  1. Tenerife is an ideal location for scuba diving, whether you are a first timer or a seasoned diver. There are many ship wrecks off the coast of the island as well as interesting volcanic rock formations hiding beneath the water, since the island was formed by a series of volcanic eruptions. Tenerife is a destination where the landscapes below the water are just as fascinating as the landscapes above the water! Top 5 scuba diving spots can be found on this URL !

    ReplyDelete