Monday, July 22, 2013

Divemaster Exams, stamina tests and urchin killing !

On Monday we headed off to El Puertito where the turtles are however sadly we didn’t see them and there was a lot of rubbish about.

It was Patrick’s last dives so it was a shame the turtles didn’t come and say goodbye!
I lead one of the dives which was a new experience but it went pretty smoothly.

More practicing for Divemaster Skills

In the afternoon we worked on how to use RDP tables and then did our Divemaster exams which Eric and I both past! Yay, one step closer to being a dive master!

On Tuesday we had a couple doing their Discover Scuba Diving, after helping out in their pool session we went off on the boat to Yellow Mountain.
This wasn’t a very good day for me as I did a poor job of helping the customers into the water! However it was Melissa’s birthday so we came back and ate cake and later on we went out for a meal and then onto Las Americas which was a lot of fun!

The shop was shut on Wednesday thankfully and we went out for lunch as Patrick was leaving that day, a sad day! Patrick has been a legend!

On Thursday we went back to El Puertito and had a lot more success, the turtles were back! Mihra was doing her Discover Scuba Diving and the turtles came to join us.
For the second dive Alice and I went off for a recreational dive and saw the baby turtle and perfected our turtle impression.

I did my 800m timed swim again and managed to get 3 seconds faster than the first time I did it but I want to get under 9 minutes!
We then practised kit set up.

Tying knots

On Friday we practised tying the knots we need to know and went to Poco Naufragio for a deep dive. I really like Poco Naufragio, there is lots to see and we saw a couple of moray eels.
At 28 metres we did some sums to see how much slower we were than at the surface again due to gas narcosis.
We also saw the tomato change colour from red to brown as we went deeper and attempted to pass an egg around to see how hard it was until Eric went and smashed it –classic!

800m Snorkel

We then went onto Yellow Mountain where we did a search and recovery dive to find ducky which was successful and then practised using a lift bag and tying the knots we know underwater.
Eric and I then went off for a recreational dive where we went around crocodile rock and killed a load of black long-spined sea urchins that Eric said he could happily do everyday.
I really enjoyed the diving that day, a proper ‘I love diving’day!

In the afternoon we had a final practise of our skills before our exam the next day.

On Saturday our scuba skills were assessed, it didn’t go too smoothly and when asked how much air we had left which we have been asked hundreds of times before we just couldn’t work out which skill we should be demonstrating for that symbol.

PADI Divemaster Skill Circuit

I have several to redo and Eric is smug as he has less to redo than me!
We then went through a Divemaster presentation on what we can do once we are a Divemaster.

Eric and I got the afternoon off so went snorkelling down by the shore.

Its got really hot the last few days, summer is a coming!


hannah wk 5

2 comments:

  1. I would love to participate in urchin killings and marine debris clean ups. Message me and I'll be there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete