Thursday, July 4, 2013

PADI Open Water diver and Emergency First Response courses and time for a beer!

Last Sunday was my first time assisting customers in a course. We had a couple coming to do their PADI Open Water course and I gave Melissa and Patrick a hand on the couple’s first skills session in the pool.
Start the PADI Open Water course

It is a new experience helping new nervous divers out as opposed to just looking after myself!
I also did my EFR (Emergency First Response) exam that day and didn’t too well! I put it down to a couple of old questions, my knowledge was just up to date haha.
On my third attempt I eventually passed.
PADI Open Water Course Tenerife

This has been the first week where we have been busy with customers every day since I have been here so I have got marginally better at equipment preparation. On Monday we forgot to give a customer who’d left for a boat dive her hood so I jokingly offered to jog down to the marina to give it to her...... never doing that again, next minute I was jogging there! It’s all about customer service :)
Melissa, Patrick and I took the couple doing their open water course to El Puertito but unfortunately one of them really wasn’t comfortable in the water and so I swam back with her and she was a lot happier chatting on the shore instead. Diving isn’t for everyone.

Dive with Turtles in Tenerife

On Tuesday I did boat duty for the first time, which means minding the boat and waiting to help people up with their kit. I also went through the Pre-dive Safety Check with the customers.
Bringing the anchor up was heavy stuff even with Alice swimming up with it!
In the afternoon we went to the Hotel Pool .
On Wednesday we prepared a lot of kit for 13 of us to go to Abades. There were 3 girls doing their Discover Scuba Diving certification and I was buddied in the water with one of them.
Swapping tanks for the second dive was quite a mission, carrying tanks across the beach was super heavy and tiring.
Thursday we went off to El Puertito again and this time I got to dive which meant seeing the turtles! They are so sweet, they swam right up to us and came to visit us several times on the dive and we were able to stroke them.
Friday was Pete’s Birthday and Eric, Patrick and I got him a stripey fish that we thought had died until it luckily finally reappeared.
We did a drift dive that day although there was not much of a drift. The customers were practising using SMBs (surface marker buoy) which is like flying kites underwater, the idea is that you drift along with it but on this occasion we were towing them along.

Drift Diving Tenerife

We practised making the 2 knots we need for our PADI Divemaster and then managed to do them with thick gloves on and blindfolded.
How to tie knots!

Saturday I had a day off and so had nice day at El Medano and went for a drink with Patrick and Angela.
What a busy week!

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment