Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week 1 of my PADI Divemaster Internship with Dive and Sea Tenerife


What a stressful and restless start! The hours before my departure were, to put it mildly, chaotic and very, very early in the morning.
After almost not making it to the airport, due to a slippery, frozen road, my parents and me managed to get there in one piece.
The flight itself, took around 4,5 hours and went well. I even had a whole row of 3 seats to myself, thanks Ryanair!

Arriving at the airport (at 09.30, it is one hour earlier here in Tenerife), I immediately pulled off my thick winter sweater and coat. It took a while to get used to the temperature, going from minus two, with ice and frost, to 19 degrees and sunny. Not that I’m complaining though, haha, it has been at least 19 degrees since my arrival.




Melissa, the Boss, picked me up from the airport at Tenerife, and just 10 minutes later we arrived at the Dive Centre, where I met Pete, our PADI Instructor, as well. After relaxing a little bit, and sorting out my luggage, the next day it was time for the induction day.


During the induction, I met Harry, the other Divemaster intern who is doing his internship at the same time as me. Pete and Melissa talked us though the most important things and gave us an idea of what the internship was going to be like. We also received our PADI materials and diving equipment, half of which, I didn’t know what it was!

Next day, it was time to really get started. I did my PADI Discover Scuba Diving session in the pool, immediately followed by my first two dives in the ocean.

We went to Yellow Mountain, and from the boat we saw a Sea Turtle taking a breath, but it disappeared as quickly as it came up. We got into the water, and once on the bottom, my first thought was; Wow!

The visibility was great, and there were so many fish to see. We didn’t have to chase the fish at all, to be able to see them properly, because they just follow you around. We saw a Snake Cucumber, Garden Eel, Trumpet fish, Fangtooth Moray Eel, Red Sea Star, Wide-eyed flounder and hundreds of long-spined black Sea Urchin’s. I also got a manicure from a Red-Back Cleaner Shrimp.

Pete and Melissa are super friendly, funny and very British. They quickly decided that my name couldn’t be Kim, and therefore, they started to come up with lots of other names. Due to several different reasons (trust me, you don’t even want me to get started), eventually my new name turned out to be Alice (or Allie), which everyone now uses :-)

I have a busy schedule ahead of me, starting with getting certified as a PADI Open Water Diver, and doing lots of diving and studying. I’ll keep you updated, you keep reading!

See you later!

Love, Kim aka Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment