Monday, February 27, 2012

Week 2 of my PADI Divemaster Internship


I've been busy busy busy so the second blog is a bit delayed, and I don’t even know where to start, There is so much to tell..

Let’s start with the most important thing then; I’ve got my first certification! I am now a PADI Open Water Diver. I didn’t have any problems with the skills, and the diving seems to be going very well. Although I wasn't too sure about my ability to read English, but I managed to score 94% on my theory Exam. Next is my PADI Advanced Open Water Diver, I can’t wait to get started.

Meanwhile, I have already got 15 logged dives including a deep dive to 30 meters, as part of my PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course. I was a bit nervous for this dive, just because of the idea of going deeper. But as we were descending, my nerves were replaced by fascination and I really enjoyed the dive. The dive wasn’t much different than any other dive, although a bit more chilly and darker. We also saw a couple of larger fish I hadn’t seen before, and lots of the more familiar species.


Directly after the first dive, we were off to a second dive at a shallower depth, where we found some Arrow Crabs, Red Back Cleaner shrimp, Cuttlefish and a baby Angel Shark, of approximately 1.20m. At the end of the dive, we had a small invasion of Jellyfish, which was less fun.

Back at the shop, when I was hanging the wetsuits up to let them dry, I found (or to be more precise; it was clinging on to my hand brrr) a huge cockroach! Yuck!

Sunday I got on the bus and headed for the market in Playa de las Americas, where I bought some short’s for work and took some lovely pictures at the beach.

Later this week, Melissa and I did a little bit of shopping, because I was just feeling too cold on every dive. We decided it would be best if I’d buy an ice vest to wear on top of my normal wetsuit. I ended up with a very nice 5mm Mares ice vest with integrated hood, a pair of gloves and a pair of neoprene socks. My new gear makes a huge difference; I am no longer freezing while diving, which makes it much more enjoyable and comfortable.




Furthermore, I’ve seen the first cyclers here. Back in Holland you’ll see many more bicycles then cars. Here in Tenerife, there are almost no bikes, because the road pretty much almost goes up, or down.

Just for those who’d like to read some more maybe boring (or not!) details;
Most days are more or less scheduled as follows:
Every ones favorite moment of the day, alarm clock waking me up at 6.30am, breakfast and shower.
Then go to the Dive Center where we prepare the dive kits and everything we need to take with us on the boat.
1 or 2 dives starting at 8.30am , back at the Dive Centre by between 11 or 12.
Lunch (13.00), then the afternoon is always different, but activities can be studying my books, marketing, any additional assignments or skills in the pool, and some swimming.

We close the Dive Centre at 17.00, a little bit of relaxing or studying and then dinner at 19.00.
The rest of the evening I usually spend on some more studying, but mainly watching TV and then to go to bed, usually too late because Pete and Melissa are far too cozy (K)(love you guys). (22.00-23.00)


Until now, all of my dives have been boat dives, but very soon we will be off for my first shore dive.

We are planning to go to El Puertito, which is a shallow shore dive in a bay, where a family of Green Sea Turtles lives. Let’s hope we’ll see them!

Lots of kisses,
Xxxxxxxxxx
Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment