Monday, September 10, 2012

PADI Advanced Open Water course and EFR Training


The EFR (emergency first aid) training today was entertaining as you might imagine, bringing a mannequin into a group full if exceedingly mature interns ensures a couple of laughs here and there. I found if a bit odd that Will tried it on with the mannequin but a couple of ‘your not getting any tonight’ looks from Jake put a stop to that.


The EFR was preceded by some skills in the pool with Alice which greatly helped me, it is now getting easier to do skills so hopefully a few more sessions should perfect them.

Tuesday was the first day that I got to observe a open water course. So it was a good opportunity to get some experience of what I was going to do for the rest of my time here.
The dive when well and was great to watch  the student in the pool and on the dives.


Today was a tough day. Only Will and I were in as everyone else got a day off, which meant we must have carried a thousand cylinders between us.
The two dives we did with the customers were fun though, and we managed to see a variety of marine life.

Being buddied with Will was an experience in itself as I was constantly having a babysit him in case he crashed into the seabed or got mauled by a fish. When Alice asked us to deploy our SMBs, I simply had no clue of what to do, so cant wait for the training course on that.
By the end of the day we were both dead tired but not so that I couldn’t fit in a nice bit of ice cream and some chips.

A day full of diving started with three dives in the morning with me, Matt and Alex doing our navigation dives with Pete.

Next we got led on a mapping dive of Yellow Mountain by Will and Jake, this all went well.


Then it was back again after dinner for another two dives, first was the first dive we did of Poco Naufragio so we could have a look around before it got dark.
Then we got on to the boat and waited for it to get dark.
This was my first night dive here and was a lot of peoples first ever night dive. 
And along with the new night diving experience the night dive brought along with it the opportunity to play lots of new bits of kit witch is a lot of the attraction of diving for most people. Like me with my not at all oversize torch or watching Will being endlessly entertained by a glow stick.
During the dive we saw a lot of night sea life and first time seeing the couple of big Rays that are of that site.


The day started off with an early morning pool session to practice some of our skills so we were not as useless as a bunch of dead squirrels when it came to the Divemaster tests. I did nearly slip and crack my back mopping the stairs so that other people wouldn’t slip and crack their backs which was a tad ironic.

If I’m not mistaken, Jamie spent more timing being pushed into the water, whilst we cleaned the boat, than anything else which was entertaining at the least. The rest of the day was quiet following a nice walk back from the marina.

We were diving at Poco again, wanting to get our deep dive done. On this dive Pete decided to try to show us how much slower doing thing's deep under water is as to on the surface.
This would have worked better if the task he had chosen didn’t involve math, because it took me an age to do this on land.

On the next dive we did more mapping that would have been much easier without getting distracted by Rays following us around but I guess ill just have to put up with that.

Another week done............. Matt & Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment