Thursday, September 13, 2012

Shore Dives, and failed Degree Exams !


The week started with Matt having a day off, and me being on boat cover helping out with two Dutch customers. 

Unfortunately for me though one got seasick but didn’t think to take seasickness tablets resulting in me having to clean a large amount off sick of the boat whilst the rest of the group had a nice dive.
But other that that is was a good first time going boat cover for me.
The rest of the day was filled with Alice, Jamie, Alex and me going through kit checks to make sure everything was in working order.


Next day I was in the pool practicing skills in the morning so hopefully with a more practice I should be able to get them perfect.

Learning that the boat is in the dry dock it didn’t take much to imagine what we were going to be doing that day. And just as I expected we spent a few hours cleaning and performing maintenance on the boat. And the rest of that day was spent back at the shop in the morning rummaging in the dungeon (that is just a name for the basement and not something else) for the thing's we were going to need for the boat.      

I spent my day doing lots of revision from my Divemaster manual and attempting to make the flat look slightly less like two very lazy teen boys that are not to into cleaning things have been living there for two week's, so it was slightly more welcoming for the new person to move in. so it was nice to have someone else in the flat over than me and Matt to stop us from sitting in complete silence in front of the TV all night.


Did my first shore dive with Melissa and it was the first dive that Hayley did, now she has arrived to become our new flat mate.
So one way or another there was going to be something new and exiting happening.
Doing my first shore dive for a very long time quickly reminded me that walking on sand with full kit on as much harder that on solid land, luckily enough though the walk to the entry point was not a long one.
The dive went perfectly to plan, and we didn’t get lost or anything even though with Jakewas leading he did say there was a possibility.
Then we switched tanks and went back for the second dive. That was led just as well the second time by Jake as it was the first time this dive  and even though it was the same dive we had just done, it had a lot more life to see, including some moray eel and octopus.

The next day I was diving again this time with a customer doing a scuba review who had some great diving stories on the way out to the site.
We did two dive both led by will. The first at Yellow Mountain was like other's I have done there but it was fun to do it for the first time with a customer and it was good to find octopus at the end of the dive.
The second dive was the first time I had done Crocodile Rock, and it was fun to do the swim through that was something unexpected.

I stared the day on Sunday with a quick pool session to practice skills with Jamie and Alice in the morning. Following that we all went down to get tanks filled up and when we were waiting had a quick swim in the sea, if only we were going to do that every time I could look forward to having no full tanks.

Third week down and feeling so much better now we are "looking" more professional.


As an update it was about now Matt found out he had failed some exams and needed to return to the UK before he finished his internship.
I am going to miss my room mate, but his degree has to come first, so we said our farewells.

Matt & Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment