Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mountain climbing and the arrival of Jesus!


I'm sitting in the shop with my laptop, doing this blog. I just got back from the pool where I did my 400 meters swim. I'm pretty tired and sore all over due to all the swimming.
I'm trying to reflect back on the last week; what went well, what went bad, and what went absolutely horribly wrong.

PADI Divemaster interns

Right now I am at, this point of my internship, where Im beginning to understand why certain things are done the way they are. I'm really starting to see the bigger picture here!

I'm still a relatively inexperienced diver, which means that Im still enjoying every little bit of every dive I have, and everything I see, feel and experience under water, is a big deal to me - even in spite of strong currents, poor visibility and a 3mm. wetsuit (which provide pretty poor insulation from the relatively cold waters at 18 meters).
As long as I am under water, breathing from a regulator, Im as happy as can be.


Last week we went to a dive site called "Las Eras" where Sam was leading the dive. We had to fight some pretty strong currents, especially on the way back. 
Lydia, with whom I was buddy with for that dive, was struggling to keep up with the rest of the group (most likely due to her pewny muscles - oh them girls! :-) 
So I was towing her pretty much all the way back. I didn't mind at all, because that is what a buddy is there for, and I know that she would have done the same for me, had she had the strength.


Sunrise Tenerife

One other dive that made a deep impact in my mind, was our dive at "StarfishBay". A site usually known for, yeah you guessed it, Starfish. Nowadays, however, the site is a vast underwater desert, nothing but sand and rocks, well almost, and... those damned sea urchins, who have taken over pretty much all of the site. 
I think during that dive, I saw two starfish, and to many sea urchins to count!

I have had some truly amazing dives for the past week, I think what stands out the most, is probably our encounter with a small "Common Ray".
I was surprised to find that a ray acts kinda like a friendly dog. The ray I socialized with, kept circling around us and bumping into my stomach.
Well, I conclude that it was friendly and attention seeking -  (who knows, after all it could mean that it was probing me for any soft spots, in which to lay eggs.:-)


Anyway (how do you continue a blog after a silly comment like the previous?) 
Right, we had a day off sometime last week and instead of resting, which would probably be the smart thing to do, we decided to go climb Montaña Roja (152 meters worth of cliff by the coast at El Medano).

Around 11 o'clock there was a knock on my door, and when I answered, I was meet by no one but our very own Egyptian  Moomin.
He was wearing a big leather cowboy hat, complete with fangtooths in real Indiana Jones style. The bar was set!
Andreas, Moomin and I went to Lydia's apartment to pick her up, all excited to see what kinda cool climbers outfit she would wear.

If Moomin looked somewhat professional in his crazy "(brokeback) mountain climbing hat", Lydia was his direct opposite wearing her flip flops eating a lollipop ready to go climb a freaking mounting!

A short taxi trip  later, we arrived at the bottom of Montaña Roja, ready to climb that badboy. Fifteen minutes later (and 20 meters up the mountain) I found out that my mountain climbing skills didn't really match the amount of bragging that I had been doing previous to the trip. 
However, my self esteem rose a bit when I saw Lydia trying to make her way up the mountain in her flip flops!
We had an amazing fun trip to the Red Mountain - but, more or less, the best part of our trip, was the fact that we had no one falling off the mountain smashing their bodies to a bloody pulp (being FUBAR).

Red Rock Tenerife

Oh I almost forgot, - we have a brand spanking new room mate in our apartment  "The prince of peace, the son of god himself" Jesus Christ has blessed us with his divine presence. 
He has appeared before us in the form of a big cardboard figure, guarding the west wing of our apartment  
Him being there with us, is, obviously, the result of a wild night out in the town of San Miguel.

Tomorrow I do my first advanced dive (the deep one) so I'm looking very much forward to that!

The adventure continues, stay tuned ya´ll.

- Kevin out





No comments:

Post a Comment