Saturday, April 28, 2012

Did I mention it is my birthday?


Another brilliant week over, here in Tenerife and the best so far.

Starting where I left off, and only three days until my birthday and the mighty old age of 19.

Friday began with a slight lay in until 7.30am, and then it was time to get our kit ready for the pool skill sessions that lie ahead. Whilst assembling our kit Bungle and I took the opportunity to run through a demonstration of the ‘Perfect’ kit assembly (required for our Divemaster certification) with Pete observing our efforts. First attempt and it didn’t go very well, resulting in a string of errors to improve on.

Next, Bungle and I had Pete watch our pre-dive safety check’s in which again I successfully managed to ‘naff up’. Then it was off to the pool with Bungle and Alice to run through a skill’s circuit, which went surprisingly well. Upon returning to the shop I demonstrated my Pre-Dive Safety Check once again to the ‘all knowing’ Pete, in which I finally managed to score a 5/5. That’s more like it.


After some more kit assembly practise, it was time for another lovely 400 meter swim in which I managed to beat my previous time. Thankfully. The day finished with a well deserved breakfast at the Aberdeen followed by a good de-brief.

Saturday and I’m sure it’s someone else’s birthday today however mine is in two days which takes priority. Today was the day Bungle and I had been looking forward too since arriving in Tenerife, the day we got to treat ourselves to a Big Al’s Mixed Grill which had tempted us for 5 weeks with its excellent smell.



Excited, doesn’t even come close. However before we could enjoy this we had to get work out of the way first. The day began with assembling and packing all of the kit, shortly followed by meeting Marie, Sophie, Philip and Livio who where all returning customers coming back to enjoy some more fantastic diving and to complete Maria and Sophie’s PADI Advanced Open Water Courses. The first dive found me assisting Pete with Marie and Sophie’s Deep Dive for their AOW, where we managed to spot three Rays who seemed very interested in what we were doing. After returning to the marina to pick up some more cylinders we left to find a massive pod of Dolphins, so we followed them for around twenty minutes before thinking we should probably do some more diving. So cool.  The second dive was a Drift Dive in which the whole group participated including Alice, Pete, Philip, Livio, Sophie, Marie and I. The day concluded with some swimming and de-brief.


After work it was time for MY birthday celebrations to begin. We started at Big Al’s where Bungle and I destroyed the long awaited mix grill which was even better than expected due to Bungle being a top LAD and buying mine for my birthday. Followed by the presentation of a brilliant Zippy cake, Awwww cheers. The cake was delicious and much appreciated. Then it was off to karaoke to embarrass our selves, the rest is a blurry history but many thanks to everyone involved.  Good night.

Sunday was a much needed day off to recover from the night before. A good lay in, followed by breakfast at the Aberdeen courtesy of Rodney. After a ‘relaxed’ start to the day, yet more swimming, eating and reading followed. Oh have I mention it’s my birthday tomorrow?

On to Monday and more importantly my BIRTHDAY.
My birthday started at 7am to get kit ready and head to the pool for Monica and Shaun (a couple from America) Scuba tune up, as well as Catherine’s Discover Scuba Diving experience. All went well and Pete, Catherine, Rodders and I headed off to the marina to give Catherine an insight into the underwater world.


On the other hand Bungle, Melissa, Monica and Shaun headed off to El Puertito to try and find the Turtles. We left the marina and headed out to Yellow Mountain to swim with animals of the fish variety.
A good mornings diving all round, leaving Catherine wanting to complete a PADI Open Water Course and Monica and Shaun thrilled at seeing the turtles. After washing the kit, it was back to the shop for an afternoon of catching up on paperwork (Admin) and timed swimming in which I managed to finish in a time of 7.40 ‘ish’, qualifying for a 4/5. Pleased with my time and with no aspirations of continuing the rigorous swimming routine I settled for a 4/5 on my 400 meter swim. However, next Bungle, Rodney and I had the 15 minute tred-water to complete, which consisted of staying alive in the swimming pool for 13 minutes without touching the sides or bottom immediately followed by continuing not to drown for a further two minutes with our hands out the water.  All was going well until the final 2 minutes with hands out of the water came around, when I managed to successfully sink and nearly drown, much to Pete’s amusement. Both I and Bungle managed to fail the final two minutes ‘just so we could ruin the 100% pass rate that preceded us’. It was deliberate I promise. The day concluded with a beverage of the beer variety at Big Al’s and discussing how old age has started to affect me. A.k.a almost drowning.

Did I mention that it was my birthday yesterday?

Although no longer my birthday (which was yesterday if you didn’t know) Tuesday turned out to be a brilliant day. In the shop for 7.15 to get all of our kit together, ready for a pool/skills session. We met up with Teide divers (Jackie and Phil) and after a cup of tea Jackie, Rodney, Bungle and I headed down to the pool to prepare for our skills circuit and adjust our weight shortly followed by my best friends for the day Pete and Phil who would be marking our efforts. The skill circuit went very well and the practise paid off with all of my skills scoring 5/5 apart from 6 which where disappointing 4’s. Not everyone can be as perfect as Pete I suppose. After returning to the shop for a quick cup of tea and to warm up it was off to the pool again to perform Bungle’s and I’s Kit exchange which we executed perfectly and scored a 5. Pleased.
After all of us managed to successfully complete the kit exchange it was off to the Aberdeen for a VERY well deserved breakfast. Jackie and Phil headed back up north and Pete, Bungle, Rodney and I headed off to the marina to give the ’15 minute ‘avoid drowning’ another go and for Rodney to attempt the 800 meter snorkel.  Bungle and I finally managed to complete it without causing serious harm to our selves or putting our hands under the water.

That was it ...

All of the work leading up to this day ...

Divemaster Course COMPLETED for me and Bungle ... YYEAAAHHH!!


We headed back to the shop pretty pleased with ourselves, to finish the necessary paper work to make it official. I also discovered that my 100 meter diver tow was the fastest recorded here at Dive and Sea to add to the brilliant day. The day concluded with a celebratory beer and some more smiling.

The day began with Bungle, Alice and I assembling our kit and heading to the pool to film the first instalment of our fantastic ‘Divemaster Intern’ skills video. The skills session was hilarious and produced about three good videos out of the ten filmed. Upon returning to the shop we had the surprise of sitting several exams to test out knowledge from the old Divemaster exams. They went ok but show what I need to focus my reading on. During our exams we received the prized Divemaster T-shirt much to our delight, which I immediately changed into. The day finished with a bit more paper work and some general boasting about now being a Divemaster.

Today and a good lay in to start the day arriving at the shop for 9.45am. Lovely. A nice slow start involving writing this blog and a few other tasks. Then the peace was shattered as Tiede Divers turned up, including Phil, Jackie, Lauren and Barry. After a good laugh and a cup of tea it was time for Jackie to complete her kit set up whilst being marked by Pete and Phil. Then it was off to the marina to clean the boat and for Tiede to complete the remaining skills for Jackie’s Divemaster course as well as good practise for Lauren. The boat now gleaming and Jackie finishing her Divemaster it was off to the Aberdeen for yet another well deserved ‘reward’ breakfast and beverage of the beer variety.
The day concluded with finishing this blog and a bit more of tea making practise as well as reflecting on how good a Divemaster I am. Confidence is key, says Pete.

Many breakfast’s later and another week completed. Without a doubt the best week so far here in Tenerife filled with success and tea making. Our Divemaster courses completed, now Bungle, Jackie, Melissa and I can move swiftly onto our Assistant Instructor courses. Time seems to be moving along very quickly and myself and Bungle only have around three weeks remaining, however I already cannot wait to start the AI course and tackle any challenges thrown my way.

Adios for another week

George , aged 19 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment