Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Scotland comes to Tenerife

What a week! We got a large group of divers for the next week, nicknamed The Strathclyde Posse.

Teide divers joined us so that we could split the 12 divers-group in two to have a more manageable-sized group. Unfortunately I was a bit unlucky with having an ear infection, and now I won’t be able to dive for a week. I’m on antibiotics and hope that my ear will be better very soon.


I don’t have a lot to tell you about Monday to Thursday, because I spend these days in the shop. For your own good, let’s just skip these days in the blog and carry on with my first next day I was diving again.

Marie, who came to us for her PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course, joined us on Friday. After what seemed like ages, I was delighted that I could finally start diving again! For these dives, we went to Yellow Mountain, where we started off with the PADI Navigation, adventure dive. After a brief practice on land, Marie gave navigation a shot underwater. After a few tips, she soon got the hang off it and was able to use natural navigation and an underwater compass for navigation.

For the next dive, the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy, adventure dive, we got our brand new hoops out to give Marie the opportunity to improve on her buoyancy control skills. The most hilarious moment of the day was when a White Bream, after hesitating for a few minutes and staring at the hoops, gracefully swam through the hoop.


The last dive of the day was the PADI Underwater Naturalist, adventure dive. I led this dive to Swim Through, where Marie identified Fireworms, Wide-eyed Flounders, Atlantic Lizardfish and Greater Weevers.

Saturday I was leading the lovely Carol and Monika on two dives, with the assistance of George. The first dive was to Nelson's Point, this was the first time for me to lead a dive on this dive site. Pete dropped us off from the boat, and during the dive we made our way to Yellow Mountain, where the boat was moored up. We swam into the bay, got to the boat and changed tanks for the next dive. During the dive we saw a large Octopus, a Cuttlefish, a huge Scorpionfish and I saw a school of Needle Fish for the very first time. The second dive was to Swim Through, where we spotted Nudibranch, Trumpetfish, Ornate Wrasse and Blue-fin Damselfish.


Sunday we didn’t get the chance to take the day off , because we were so far behind with some tasks.
We spent the morning cleaning all of the shop’s diving boots and regulators, followed by cleaning the shop as well. The next day would be the first day of a new intern, so we wanted to have everything clean before his arrival.

Despite the days without diving, and the fact that I had barely seen The Strathclyde Posse, I had a nice week and I hope I’ll do a lot more diving during my last few weeks in Tenerife. At the end of this week, I suddenly realised that I have done 87 dives now, quickly getting closer to the magic number of 100 logged dives!

More next week, keep reading!
Love, Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment