Wednesday, April 11, 2012

DSD's, Dive Clubs and Exams!

Hannah came back for another dive after enjoying her PADI Discover Scuba Diving course earlier in the week.
Pete, Alice and I all got geared up and headed down to Gijarro Aricefe with Hannah, where we dropped in and explored the relatively new dive site and showed her some more of the underwater world.
The Dive went well and we bumped into an Octopus along the way, as well as some beautiful Sea Slugs and plenty of the usual suspects.

After dropping Hannah off, we went back out for a cheeky dive to Pequena Valle. This is one of my favourite sites and I was taking some references and points that I could recognise, so I would be ready to lead dives there and hopefully not get lost. Alice, Zippy and I found a Portugese Bag’O War (inside joke), a bunch of Trumpet Fish and a rather hostile Moray Eel.


As we were heading back to the marina, we were stopped by a man on a sailing boat that had rather clumsily managed to get a static rope trapped around his propeller (silly man). He asked if we could help and helpful people as we are, I got kitted back up and spent the next half an hour freeing his boat from a massive tangle of rope.

Note to self; If I ever buy a sailing boat, don’t let that man drive it!

Today was strangely a day of no diving… There was plenty of cleaning to do though so it was still a busy day. The boat got a good scrubbing in the morning, the shop was cleaned thoroughly, the cars were treated to a mini valet and the customer kit was all cleaned and greased up.
With everything tidy, Zippy and I sat our PADI Divemaster final exam papers. Both of us did really well and only got 3 questions incorrect out of 120. GO US!!!
Tidy Friday.

Saturday was a day off for us, but we had the option to go diving (just for fun) if we wanted to. Zippy and I chose to go diving. Phil from Teide Divers had stumbled across a rather interesting pipe line at Las Eras, so we went to meet him and Jackie with Melissa, to go and check it out. It proved to be a great untouched site, with loads of life to see including Rays, Octopus and Nudi Branch. We did a couple of dives and then headed back to enjoy the rest of our day off.
Late on Saturday night, a group of 11 divers and 1 non diver arrived, ready for 5 days of diving shared between Dive and Sea and Teide Divers. They were all met and checked in to various apartments and would be ready for diving early Sunday morning.

Sunday was the first day of diving for the group now named ‘The Stirling Posse’. After a welcoming brief from Pete and Melissa at the shop, I was going with 5 of them and the Teide crew back to Las Eras for a couple of dives, including the newly discovered pipe line. Plenty of Sea Hares, Nudi Branch, massive Scorpion Fish and a cheeky Ray made the dives great fun and everyone seemed to enjoy. The rest of the afternoon was relatively quiet, but it was the calm before the storm as this big group would be providing us with a busy week.

Monday I was off with Pete and an Instructor by the name of Felix for a PADI Advanced Open Water course with the Monroe Family. Mum, Dad and their 3 children had chosen to do the following adventure dives; PPB - Peak Performance Buoyancy, Navigation and Deep Dive. Not long after entering the water, Mummy Monroe alerts us to the fact that one of her fins had fell off. I was already in the water so dropped down to go and retrieve it, but after a 30 minute search I came back empty handed. Bye bye fin… I did spot a big Sting Ray when I was looking for the fin in question but I wouldn’t like to strap that to my foot and try to swim with it! I gave one of the girls my fins (how nice am I!), then joined Pete on the boat while Felix had the family swimming through hoops.


Later that afternoon, I was back out on the boat with Pete, Melissa and 5 of the Posse. Zippy had forgot to include a mask in one of the kit bundles so I forfeited mine and sat the first dive out. Zippy got a beer fine and had to walk down to the marina with a spare! I went down on the second dive at Starfish bay which was a nice conclusion to a long day!

The next morning the entire group were being taken for a couple of dives at El Puertito. Everybody except for Pete and Alice headed off for a couple of dives to try and find the Turtles.


Find the Turtles we did and they were fantastic. Diving with such beautiful creatures is an amazing experience and everybody really enjoyed it. There was plenty of Starfish, Anenomes and Cuttle Fish to add to the list aswell. Phil and Melissa were leading these 2 dives and Jackie, Lauren Zippy and I were holding the fort at the back of the pack. There were a lot of divers in the water but it was a great day out none the less.
Later that afternoon and well into the evening, Melissa, Zippy and I had the privilege of washing all 18 sets of kit, which was great fun and not tiring at all, followed by a nice, cold, pint.

Next day I was down in the pool nice and early with a family of 4 who had come in for a DSD - Discover Scuba Diving experience. Felix was back to instruct the course and Melissa and I were there for support. Pool skills went well and we headed off to Abades for the Open Water dives. Shortly after descending though the daughter had a problem with equalizing so I surfaced with her and headed back to shore. The second dive I made it down and helped Felix show the family around.
The afternoon was spent back out in the water with Felix and the Monroe family who were back for the Deep Dive part of their PADI Advanced Open Water course. We dropped down to deeper waters, they performed the tasks required and that was that. Congratulations Monroes!


Thursday Morning - the morning I would be leading my first dive! Pequeno Valle was the destination, 3 of the Sterling posse were kitted up and on the boat, Zippy was following behind and my memory of the site was being put to the test! It went really well, I didn’t get lost and was a good confidence boost. Seeing things from the front of a group of divers is a lot different to following others. We were treated to a variety of critters including Octopus and a Moray Eel.
The second dive of the morning was at Starfish bay, where there was quite a strong current. We found a nice Round Ray on the way to the site and once we got there it was easy to just drift round the rocks and see what we could find on the way.


In the afternoon I got to lead even more dives. Being joined by Zippy, Karol and Monica, it was back out to Pequeno Valle and then Alien Rock. They are diving with us a few times and really enjoyed this afternoon, so smiling faces all round!

After another busy, busy day, a few well deserved cold ones at the Aberdeen went down a treat!!

Bungle / Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment