Saturday, March 31, 2012

I'm a PADI Advanced Diver :-)


The day I was to become a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver

Up bright and early and heading down to the marina, ready for 2 dives in the morning. We were joined by David from last week, who was fitting in one last Tenerife dive before heading back to the UK. 

Teide Divers were also present with Phil, his intern Lauren and Mark, Neil and April, all there explore Poco Naufragio and Pequeno Valle with us. Melissa had also joined in with the added privilege of boat duties.


The first dive at Poco Naufragio was the setting for my Deep Dive adventure dive. We descended down to a depth of 16 metres, then a little bit further until we reached 29 metres. Pete had previously got me to complete some simple maths equations before getting on the boat, as well as the gruelling challenge of putting different shaped plastic blocks into the matching shaped slot of a basic child’s toy. I was timed doing both of these things on the surface and down at 29 metres, to get to grips with the effects that deep diving has on people. I was slower with both things underwater but did relatively well if you ask me!

On the dive we were hoping to interact with some Rays. We saw a Ray but he left us and unfortunately didn’t come back. The dive was great though and everybody enjoyed. Our second dive to Pequeno Valle, and also my Boat Adventure dive, was equally enjoyable and provided lots of life and diversity in the reefs, including an Angel Shark.
That particular area is popular with fishermen, which meant there was some ropes and cages to see, along with some old, lost equipment that I would be keen to get down there and clean up as it is a fantastic dive site.

Zippy and I had a go at setting a time for the 100m tired diver tow back at the marina, I chose a technique that didn't work well for me and managed a time of 03:48. I can and will do better next time! A late breakfast capped off the morning nicely thanks to the Aberdeen restaurant, then it was back to the shop for the afternoon.

The next morning saw Pete, Alice, Zippy and I popping down to the marina for some confined water rescue scenarios. Practicing the rescue techniques for tired and panicked divers at the surface and at the bottom was educational and quite good fun in between serious times. We were joined by Ducky (the little yellow rubber duck from the dive shop) who kindly volunteered to pretend to be missing, only to be rescued by local heroes Zippy and Bungle. This all went relatively well and Ducky was returned safe and sound. Pete treated us to a couple of hours of boat cleaning, then it was time to attempt a 800m snorkel. It was much harder than I had previously thought. 800m is a long way, especially when you own fins that are a touch too small for your feet! A disappointing 2 out of 5 is another thing that will be beaten next time I try.

Whilst down at the marina, there was a strange object floating in the water. It appeared from a distance to be a Jellyfish and when we questioned Pete about its identity, he confirmed it was a Portugese Man’O War. Naturally this sparked slight panic! As it got closer it became clear that it was nothing more than a harmless plastic bag floating on the surface and Pete had been winding us up! Having been scared of the bag for a few minutes, we named it the ‘Portugese Bag’O War!

Note to self; DON’T BE SCARED OF HARMLESS PLASTIC BAGS!

Monday was soon knocking at the door, with Melissa, Zippy and I off to meet Phil from Teide Divers, Lauren, Kepo and Mark at Abades. Before we left the shop, Zippy was loading up the car with cylinders and decided to carry them about 100m down the road rather than asking Melissa to move the car closer to the shop,. This provided some quality morning laughs to start the day with.


A bit of shore diving (entering the water from shore as opposed to a boat) was excellent at Abades. Its one of Melissa’s favourite sites and I can see why. There was plenty of life, including a Common Ray and an Octopus, as well as great reef to explore. Zippy and I took notes about the site, so we would be prepared to lead other divers around one day soon.

Later that afternoon, Pete took us out for some Open Water Rescue Scenarios at Yellow Mountain. We were again joined by Ducky and Alice. Some tired diver scenarios went well between Zippy and I, then it was time for Ducky to be hidden and recovered by us again. Unfortunately Ducky was hidden much further away than he should have been which made our search pattern unsuccessful. Alice had to buy a round of beers later that evening to compensate.

Tuesday morning we were joined by Hannah who had joined us for a PADI Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) session. We were down in the pool for a few skills and some kit familiarisation, with Alice leading the session and Zippy and I there observing and supporting when needed. I had my first shot at using the underwater camera in the pool, which resulted in some quite bad photos! Hannah enjoyed herself and completed the skills she needed to do, then It was time for a couple of dives at Yellow Mountain. I was on boat duties for the first dive and then observing down below on the second.

In the afternoon we went back out to finish the Open Water Rescue Scenarios. Ducky was ‘missing’ but Zippy and I made short work of finding and recovering him to the boat. He is now back at home and in a stable condition! The scenarios that involved me rescuing Zippy from the surface and underwater and vice versa went well and I was relatively pleased with my efforts. When It was my turn to be rescued and lifted back on to the boat, Zippy and Alice had a tough time lifting me out of the water which I found quite funny! I’m not exactly the smallest or lightest person to be dragging onto a boat !!!


After getting back to the shop, some more swimming stamina training awaited. Down to the pool for a 400m non stop swim, which I have been practicing for, resulted in a time of 7 minutes. I am really pleased with the times I am getting at the moment as when I first arrived I was worn out after 100m!! I only need to get my time down another 30 seconds and I’ll score a 5 out of 5.

Note to self; SWIM A LITTLE BIT FASTER.

On Wednesday morning we had another opportunity to finalise mapping details for Alien Rock and Crocodile Rock. Off to Yellow Mountain with clean writing slates and armed with pencils, details were taken aswell as more mental notes. I think I could lead a dive round both of the sites (ish), but I wont know until I give it a shot soon. I also had to demonstrate my first dive brief before dropping in which I enjoyed doing, but need to work on a little bit.


Before the dives it was another try at the 800m Snorkel. I went without a wetsuit to see if I could get a faster time but it failed. I actually managed to get a slower time which was a bit rubbish. After the dives, Zippy and I had some more practice at the 100m Tired Diver Tow. I tried a different technique and managed a faster time than last. I am still aiming to be quicker in both tests when they get officially timed.

Note to self; SWIM A LITTLE BIT FASTER.

More from me next week!

Chris (Bungle)

No comments:

Post a Comment