Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 4 – PADI Rescue Diver by Kim


Yet another week has passed, time flies and to my regret, my PADI Divemaster  internship in Tenerife is already halfway now!

At the start of the week I led my first dive. We were back at El Puertito, where we did two dives and had a fantastic Turtle encounter on both dives. Harry even got head banged by a Turtle. The first dive it was my turn, as a Divemaster intern, to lead the dive, the second dive it was Harry's turn.




The next day it was time for another visit to the Sting Rays, which showed a little longer, but unfortunately did not come any closer. Maybe next time! They are magnificent animals to see anyway.

Thursday was a very busy day, we did so much!
For your sake, I’ll try to keep it as short as possible and highlight the key points.
The day started very early, at 8 o'clock in the morning we were all at the Marina. Phil and Jackie, from Teide Divers in the north of the Tenerife , joined us for a PADI Rescue course.

We started with our 800 meter snorkel, which we had to accomplish within a certain time to get the highest score possible, for our Divemaster certificate. Immediately afterwards we got started with the first part of my PADI Rescue course; two training sessions at the Marina.
For a few hours we were all been busy practicing what we should know, and be capable of as PADI Rescue Divers.
Immediately after the training sessions we climbed aboard the boat… for our first 2 mapping dives.  We noted all the details we needed on our slates, headed back to the boat, and combined our notes to be able to create a proper map.

The next day it was time for our 800m snorkel again, which this time went a lot better, we all managed to improve our times with a couple of minutes. I did it in 14 minutes and 22 seconds. My goal is to shave of 22 seconds, and get the highest rate possible for this skill, which is a 5.
After the 800m snorkel we headed to Yellow Mountain, for our Open Water Scenarios as part of our PADI Rescue Course.
One of our scenarios was a lost diver (rubber duck) that we had to find and return to the boat. After searching for quite a long time, we finally found Ducky, which unfortunately was brain dead by then.. Poor Ducky..
Then Harry and I did our last dive for our maps, to get the last few details, and completed the maps later that afternoon.


When we got out of the water, it was time for lunch, and for the second day in a row, we all had a lovely typical English breakfast, delicious! (including beans, sausages, bacon, egg, black pudding, tomato, toast and mushrooms). That afternoon it was time for my PADI Rescue Diver Exam, and I managed to get a great 96%! This means that I am a PADI Rescue Diver now, yeay!!

Besides the PADI specialty Boat Diver and PADI specialty Emergency Oxygen Provider, I have now also completed my PADI Distinctive specialty Surface Marker Buoy (SMB) and PADI specialty Deep Diver.

The rest of the week we did more  diving, I’m on 38 logged dives now.
Furthermore, the normal tasks and routines went on and Harry and I started to practice our pool skills as well. We will repeat these daily from now on. Last Monday we did our 15 minute floats, the last 2 minutes with our hands out of the water. Neither of us had problems with this skill, although we got a bit chilly, but achieved the maximum score, a five.

Tuesday we did our 100 metre Tired Diver Tow at the Marina, which was incredibly hard work. Fortunately, Harry and I both set a nice time and got a very acceptable 3 points for that skill.

I have now got four more weeks ahead of me, and next Tuesday I’ll do my Theory Exam for Dive Master. Will you keep your fingers crossed for me?

Keep reading, more stories next week!
Love, Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment