Monday, March 26, 2012

My first week in Tenerife


The first day of something completely new for me. I had been diving before but i was about to take in a whole load more information.

The PADI Divemaster internship got going with a really warming introduction from the guys at Dive and Sea Tenerife. Finding out the content of the course and the general operations of the Dive Centre was a lot to take in, but interesting at the same time.

I had met my room mate and fellow intern 'George' the previous day and he and I were now busy learning what the next 8 weeks would bring. An informative DVD and some Q&A topped off the intro nicely. It was then time for us to get some kit together and head out for a dive to see how good we were (or weren’t).

My first dive in a few months was a bit of a nightmare to say the least! Being a bit nervous and a bit panicky didn't help with the buoyancy trouble I was having, I also lost my fin strap twice which didn't make things any better either.
Pete (the instructor), Alice (Another intern who has just passed her Divemaster certification), George and I then headed back down for a second dive, where the nerves had calmed a bit but buoyancy was still an issue. I was however, here to learn, so realising where I was going wrong and discussing it was very helpful. We de-briefed and discussed what was happening the following day, which concluded the first day.

George and I also ended the day with the new names 'Zippy and Bungle'. I am now Bungle.

Friday was an earlier start, we had the kit set up and were down to the boat by 08.30. We headed off to Juigarro Arrecife for 2 dives, which were Peak Performance Buoyancy and Navigation Training Adventure dives.
The buoyancy training was a needed practice area for me, so when a couple of hoops were set up at different heights, it was good to learn how to use buoyancy skills to swim through them. Alice kindly held them still for me and I managed to kick her in the face as I swam through.... (Sorry Alice).

The Navigation training went a lot smoother, I was managing to control myself underwater a bit better now and relaxing into the dives. Finding my way to a point and back using a compass was a skill that I remembered from my PADI Open Water course last year. It only went wrong when I was asked to navigate back to the boat when I hadn't been keeping track of where we were.
Note to self; PAY ATTENTION.


Saturday morning we were scheduled for going on a night dive. Waking up at 04.30 so we could have everything ready and be in the water while it was still dark was hard work, but worth every second. I loved it! We were joined by Sofie who was doing her PADI Advanced Open Water course, as well as a very tired and cold Melissa who got out of bed for boat duties so we could go diving.

Pete, Alice, George, Sofie and I descended into a different world! A dive site is a fantastic place when you can hardly see anything, but what you can see is brilliant. My buoyancy was getting there, Zippy and I had good buddy communications, we saw an Octopus and it was still before 06.30!

There were 2 more Adventure dives planned for the day but weather conditions didn’t allow. Some hot tea and some swimming stamina training was the replacement for a deep water dive and a drift dive.

A nice relaxing weekend consisted of reading, swimming, reading, swimming, reading and some more swimming! Ploughing through information on EFR (Emergency First Response) and CPR, as well as the PADI Rescue Diver manual would help prepare me for the next weeks exams.

Monday soon arrived with 2 dives to Yellow Mountain. The dives were lead by Alice who is now a PADI Divemaster, after completing her 60th dive in the dark on Saturday morning. Being led around Alien Rock, I was taking notes and trying to remember points so I was familiar with the site. I had a temporary moment of confusion half way round and from that point on my notes made no sense and I was none the wiser... My second set of notes that I took as we navigated the Swim Through site made more sense, which was much better.

I am by now more relaxed in the dives which allows more time to pay attention to some of the life that swims around you. Checking out all of the little fishies was cool, There are some amazing creatures that live underwater. I was however slightly cautious, as was Zippy, when Alice offered us a harmless Arrow Crab to hold for a photo. Its tiny but it has pincers!

Note to self; DON'T BE SUCH A WIMP.

We welcomed Matt along on Tuesday morning for dives 1&2 of his PADI Open Water Diver referral. Pete was teaching, with Zippy and Bungle on the sidelines, watching and learning how its done. I think I learnt as much as Matt did while watching what was going on. Over the course of the 2 dives we explored some more of Yellow Mountain while Matt completed all of his required skills and seemed to enjoy himself. On one of the dives, I became fascinated when I saw a Blue Starfish, but seeing new and fascinating things is regular on dives. A good days diving!

Zippy and I sat our EFR and CPR exams in the afternoon, as well as some more swim stamina training, ready for the 400mswim part of the course.

Matt was back Wednesday morning, bright and early for the final 2 dives of his course. Dave joined us on the boat as well, ready to be led on 2 dives (including his 100th) led by Alice. I joined Pete and Matt underneath for some more observational learning. We were treated to a little, tiny, baby Angel Shark, which was, buried in the sand (good spot Pete), which we had photos taken with.
Finding a nice spot on each dive, Matt completed the rest of his required skills with no problem, which now qualifies him as a PADI Open Water Diver (congratulations Matt). A good day on the boat and some good dives meant smiles all round!

The afternoon brought the PADI Rescue Diver exam paper (94%, not bad), a trip to get some tanks filled and a session of mopping the shop floor.

Thursday morning and we were getting set up to head out for some more Yellow Mountain action. More training for us new interns was on the cards! We were practising how to use Surface Marker Buoys or SMB's. Deploying an inflatable plastic sausage from down below, to mark our positions on the surface. It went well, I was pleased with my efforts!

The next dives were some more mapping dives to Alien Rock and Crocodile Rock. Mapping the sites in a little more detail while still learning how to get round them both. Alice led while Zippy and I tagged along, taking more notes and mental pictures that 'should' direct us around the sites.


We stopped for another Arrow crab and this time when it was offered to me I was a bit braver and held him for a photo. He was harmless so I don’t know what all the previous fuss was about!

Note to self; STILL DONT BE SUCH A WIMP.

More from me next week about my adventures in Tenerife.

Chris (AKA Bungle)

No comments:

Post a Comment